Public Meeting 17/07/13: Minutes

Minutes of the Harcourt Progress Group

Date: Wednesday  17th July,  2013 Harcourt Valley Primary School
Present:  Annette Smith (minutes), Vera Hemkes, Max Murphy, Sharlene Farrugia (MASC), Paul Mizzi, Kay Francis, George Milford, Neil Charter, Wayne O’Toole (MASC) Jacqueline Brodie- Hanns, Tim Barber, Peter Wilson, Melissa Pollock, Joan Lienhop, Robyn Miller, Dianne Baig, Donna McMahon, Judi Kent, Ayron Teed, Kelly Aitken, David Heath (chair), Peter Church, Fay Hards
Apologies: Craig Watkins, Judy Foster
Welcome:  To all people including the members of the reference group, Tim Barber, Wayne O’Toole
Business Action/ Who When
Minutes
Business Arising
General Business
·         Wayne O’Toole – Economic Development Officer, working with Reference Group, plans have come from the Harcourt Community.  Reference group formed to advise on the centre of Harcourt development.  The plans are beginning to be implemented now with road works.

Crossover in the work of the HPG and the reference group.  Need to look at how this can work together.  Tim Barbour spoke about the fact that the reference group’s work is not finished.  George Milford indicated that the work of the reference group is to implement all of the recommendations.  Wayne talked about moving onto the broader  recommendations.  There is a greater opportunity for growth in Harcourt then in any other part of the shire.  Opportunity for significant growth. Peter Wilson spoke of discussion with the Mayor and that the reference group is there for the longer term.  Acting as a conduit to council.  Wayne said that was not his view or understanding.  David asked questions about why the arrangements were structured the way they are and also how they will work together. George gave the history of how the community got together to talk to VicRoads and deal with other issues relating to after the freeway.  Eventually there was a study which recommended the formation of a reference group following an extensive study in 2009.  Community planning is separate from this as the reference group is focussed on impact of the freeway.  Community planning is separate and is community driven and lead.  Question from George – who will implement the community plan after the council steps back? David talked about the community having the role to drive the goals and aspirations to achieve the things in the community plan.  Need community enthusiasm  to drive the plan. Jacqueline commented on the role of Sharlene and then asked was there a central group before either of these groups.  Paul Mizzi spoke about the separate organisations which share information in part to people.  There is no group in Harcourt to centralise information. Paul spoke of all the different web sites relating to Harcourt.  Sharlene spoke of ensuring sustainability of different aspects through the plan. David spoke of the value of the social media and the web as communication.  There needs to be a letter box drop of a paper newsletter in the area as well

The plan needs to be a working document and needs to change to reflect what is happening in Harcourt.  It will change according to community priorities and the people involved in the group.  Jacqueline asked what is the legal structure of the HPG?  No status at present.  Suggested it needs to become an incorporated body.  Have taken the time to sort out what the role of the group is.  Now at the point we need to make decisions.  Suggested not to be a Section 86 committee and be incorporated in its own right.

Issue –communication between groups so that the work does not cross over.

Reference group meetings are public meetings which people can attend.  Minutes can be circulated via the Harcourt blog

The various groups need to link together through the web via a central linking page.

Wayne spoke about the works being undertaken in Harcourt. RV dump, road works, bus shelters, slip way removed. Harmony Way and Victoria Road will become a cross road.  Speed limit reduced, Bagshaw street intersection changed.  High street south end a court bowl. Removable bollards to allow for Applefest parade.  Work starting on Monday, it will take five weeks subject to weather.  Plantings to be decided.  Current plantings will not be affected.

Max Murphy spoke of the need to know what is happening and to have a plan which people can look at.  Concern about the lack of a commercial zone because of the possible growth of the Harcourt community.  George talked about that there are changes in train for changes to zoning.  Max spoke of the need to get information out to the community more broadly.  Wayne believes that sufficient effort has been made to get information out to the community.  There is a commitment from Wayne that the community will be consulted about the plantings on the road developments.

David spoke of the importance of improving the communication in Harcourt.

Need to report back to organisations people are representing.

Street scape should reflect the town in the future.

Max stressed the importance of groups liaising with each other.  Working together in one direction.

Need to have visual representation this is better for people to get a sense of how things will look.

Must ensure the work is not duplicated by both groups.

Need to look at incorporation Craig and Annette to investigate with Jacqueline.
·         Mountain Biking in Harcourt – The Rocky Riders spoke with David about the possibility of using the oak forest as a mountain biking destination.  Key trails could attract people to events.  It could have economic benefits for the community.  Community needs to drive the process and shape the area as the destination.  See attachment prepared  by David.  Look at Mount Macedon model of management of Hanging Rock as a way to do this in Harcourt.

Why not a Friends of Mount Alexander group? – Judy Foster was interested in this.

What will the involvement of the Progress Group? Incorporation will help with this.

Investigate some of the established areas for Mountain Biking

The Goldfields track is also an asset for the area.

Key conversation about this is with Parks Victoria – Wayne will find someone in Parks to talk with.

Dianne suggested that since Damian Drum is parliamentary secretary of economic development.  Take it from the economic development angle in connection with sport

·         Feedback on the community plan.  Sharlene to collate the data.  Date before the next meeting to

finalise the feedback inclusion in the plan.

·         The road into the Leisure Centre  – specifications will drawn up this year and possibly sealed after that.
·         Town criers championships will be held at the Applefest.
·         Applefest meeting on 12th August at 7.30pm – come with ideas and a theme
·         There will be a water supply improvement for the Recreation Reserve in 2015.
Meeting finished at  9pm
Next meeting :  Wednesday 21st August, 2013 – 7-9pm at HVPS

Recent Posts

Archives

Categories